Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Training Week #6

This week, to be honest, did not go as planned. One of my coaches recently lost part of his family to Burkitt's Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (I'll include some info on this if you're curious) and I didn't think it would affect me the way it did. For those of you that don't know, we lost my step-dad almost a year ago to this same disease and it's amazing how a simple email to share with the team about her story can still effect me so. The lost feels so recent yet so long ago. I'm blessed to know that he's in a place with no sickness and no pain! I know I'll see him again someday, but until then I will live my life in a way that would make him proud!

On a more uplifting subject, I am that much closer to the halfway mark in my fund raising! That means that if I can raise $470 more by March 19 I get a really nice Alaska Team In Training hooded sweatshirt! I am so grateful for those who have already helped me on this journey and those of you who are planning one help me reach this awesome milestone in the upcoming weeks! You are all appreciated! I'm just really having a lot of fun with this training and really excited about this summer! Thanks for your support!



Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Burkitt's

Burkitt's lymphoma is a very fast-growing non-Hodgkin lymphoma that originates from B lymphocytes. Burkitt's lymphoma can develop at any age, but it is most common in children and young adults, particularly males. Unlike other lymphomas, Burkitt's lymphoma has a specific geographic distribution: It is most common in central Africa and rare in the United States. Infection with Epstein-Barr virus is associated with Burkitt's lymphoma.

Burkitt's lymphoma grows and spreads quickly, often to the bone marrow, blood, and central nervous system. When it spreads, weakness and fatigue often develop. Large numbers of lymphoma cells may accumulate in the lymph nodes and organs of the abdomen, causing swelling. To make the diagnosis, doctors do a biopsy of the abnormal tissue and order procedures to stage the disease.

Without treatment, Burkitt's lymphoma is rapidly fatal. Intensive chemotherapy, which includes chemotherapy to the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord to prevent spread to these areas, can cure 70 to 80% of people.


1 comment:

  1. I hatw to tell you this but, it only gets easier to deal with, but never goes away. It helps a lot to know for certain you will see them again. Cancer of any kind SUCKS!!!

    ReplyDelete